SAVE TULANE ENGINEERING

Monday, December 06, 2004

Fun with Cryptology : The Davinci Code

Over Thanksgiving I finished reading "The Davinci Code" by Dan Brown, I was hesitant the read the book at first because of all the buzz surrounding it (I guess I am just contrary) but finally broke down when I needed something to read on the flight. I walked into the airport bookstore and there it was staring at me with its glossy cover, beckoning me to purchase it. Several of my dollars later I was onboard my flight reading away. The story revolves around Harvard Symbologist, Robert Langdon, who receives a late-night phone call asking for his help with regards to a bizarre murder at the Louvre museum in Paris. And then a mystery begin to unfold. I'll stop the synopsis there as I don't want to unintentionally give anything away. It was a good read. I thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end and finished it rather quickly. One thing for the traveling reader that I really liked is that, for the most part, the chapters are fairly short so its very easy to get to a stopping point if you need to put it down so you don't miss your connection. Does the storyline ruffle quite a few feather? Very much so. Or at least I can see where feathers would be ruffled. Of course you must remember that this is a work of fiction and although it has enough facts interspersed throughout to give it a very good sense of realism, at the end of the day it is a book meant to entertain not provide any definitive historical evidence.

The book gets a thumbs up.

Now if you haven't read the book you might want to stop reading here. Also if you are familiar with the book and consider yourself someone whose feathers would be ruffled, stop now as well. The book draws from several tiny bits of "enigmatic" history/rumor. Like :

The Rennes-Le-Chateau Mystery
The Magdalene Cult
The Gnostic Gospels
The Gospel of Q
The Priory of Sion

Also more recent non-enigmatic info :
Opus Dei
Louvre Pyramid
The Dead Sea Scrolls
The Merovingians (not just the guy in the Matrix sequels)

As well as The Templars, The Cathars, etc.

No matter on which side of the ruffled feather crowd you stand, the book has a side effect of having you think more about your religion and maybe asking some questions which is really never a bad thing.

I like how he throws in some facts with his fiction and so I'm about start Dan Brown's first Robert Langdon Book, Angels & Demons . I'll write that one up as well when I'm done. His third book is supposed to have something to do with the Masons and I'll hazard a bet it will have something to do with this place.

1 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm waiting for the movie.

here's my favorite conspiracy book of late:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060931841/qid=1102432923/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-4122611-2196945?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

if that link doesn't work, just search for Jim Marr's "Rule by Secrecy"

it weaves together practically every conspiracy theory you can think of, in a coherent alternate world view.

i love this stuff.

-craig

 

Post a Comment

<< Home